Wednesday, July 3, 2013

My Hospital Trip.

I mentioned in my last post that I was sick and/or trying not to get sick. As it turned out... it got even worse. Not only did I have a sore throat and sinus problems, but I ended up with an ear infection which hurt bad in and of itself. But then last night was in the Top 3 most physically painful moments in my life as the earache reached an all-time high (low?). On top of that, the infection began spreading to my eye. So on top of that horrid pain, I didn't also want to end up with pink eye. I decided it was finally time to go to the hospital.

I had morning classes today, so I did those first. Then one of my co-teachers was looking into whether or not I needed to make an appointment to see the doctor at the Sanbon hospital. I could do so, but it wasn't necessary. So another one of my co-teachers called a taxi for me to take me to the hospital from the school.

To cut this part of the story a little shorter, I ended up on the third floor where the ear/nose/throat doctor was. Luckily the receptionist guy spoke some English, so he was able to check me in, help me pay, and tell me where to wait. And I only had to wait like 3 minutes before the staff came back from lunch and took me right in. The doctor spoke a little English, so he asked me what was wrong. I told him. He proceeded to put a camera scope in my ear and tell me, in more medical terms, that I have an ear infection. Imagine that. But then he ended up spraying something up both my nostrils, which was awkwardly uncomfortable. He put some cream stuff in my ear. And then he sprayed something in my throat. Then the nurse printed the prescription papers and took me back to the receptionist guy, who told me I just needed to go to fill it at the pharmacy. I was in and out in 5 minutes.

This is where the story gets annoying, though. I take a bus back to my officetel, as there's a pharmacy on the first floor of the building. The guy looks at the prescription and goes to look for the stuff, but then comes back and tells me he can't fill it here--I have to go a pharmacy right next to the hospital. I had a suspicion that was going to be the case, knowing my luck. So I hop in a taxi and go all the way back to Sanbon. I ask a cashier in a little convenience store attached to the hospital where the pharmacy is, and he points me in the right direction. I find it, hand over the papers, and they have it ready in about 5-ish minutes.

Unfortunately, the lady who gives it to me spoke limited English, so the most she was able to tell me (at least that I could understand) was "Three times a day. Something something something. Do you understand?" Yeah, sure. But I was able to figure it out. It's medicine for 7 days, and I have to take it three times a day for that week. I have no idea what each pill and whatnot is or does (though I'm sure she tried to tell me at one point). But I'm gonna take them anyway.

All the lovely pills I have to take.

I think it's some kind of cough or sore throat syrup.

And then I came back home. Overall, I think all the traveling cost more than the hospital visit and meds.  Or at least equalled out. The hospital visit PLUS the prescriptions came out to roughly 14 dollars (not including travel cost). Yeah. You heard me right. In America, this would have cost me... what... probably something close to 100 bucks? And this is part of why Korea has one of the best healthcare systems in the world.

2 comments:

  1. Its one of the things i love about Korea. The fact that I had to take an xray... but it was all of ₩11000.. yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you went tho cause you were just getting worse and now at least you've experienced it and won't be as nervous if you have to do it again. That packet of the cough or throat syrup almost looks like the little guy on the mucinex commercials.
    the amount you had to pay was unbelievable...wow

    ReplyDelete